The Ministry of Tourism makes the safety and security of its visitors a number one priority, and Kenya has an excellent reputation for the protection of tourists during their stay.
A special Tourist Police unit has been created through an agreement between the Commissioner of Police and the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife.
The functions of the Tourist Police Unit include: -
- Protection of Tourists life and property
- Provide security and safety to tourists
- Handle and receive inquiries claims and complaints by tourists
- Investigate tourists related crimes and prosecute offenders
- Patrol beaches, hotels and tourist circuits streets/roads used by tourists
- Provide escorts to tourists
- Protect tourists from harassment by beach operators and illegal hawkers
- Enforce local authority by-laws
- To offer general advice and guidance to tourists
- Assist tourists during cultural festivals
- Detect and prevent over charging of goods in the Tourism Sector
- Handle various cases concerning Tourism Industry and work hand in hand with the Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife.
In addition, there is a Safety and Communication Centre under the auspices of the Kenya Tourism Federation (KTF), which is operated 24hrs a day to monitor visitor safety.
This centre provides a 24hr TOURIST HELPLINE (02 - 604767) where one can seek assistance in case of need.
The Kenya Tourism Federation represents the leading tourism trade associations comprising the Kenya Associations of:- Tour Operators (KATO), Hotelkeepers and Caterers (KAHC), Travel Agents (KATA), Budget hotels (KBHA), Air Operators (KAAO), Ecotourism Society of Kenya (ESOK) as well as Mombasa and Coast Tourism Association (MCTA).
The KTF Safety Centre is the brainchild of the leading tourism trade associations comprising the Kenya Associations of Tour Operators (KATO), Hotelkeepers and Caterers (KAHC), Travel Agents (KATA), Budget hotels (KBHA), Air Operators (KAAO) as well as Mombasa and Coast Tourism Association (MCTA).
The Safety and Communication Centre is manned by well-trained staff who are at hand to attend to any issues of concern to tourists. These include security, health, road conditions, travel advisories and updates etc.
Weather in / ()